One stop that I had during this talk was when the speaker explains that you can’t be creating anything and change something to make it better with less than 10 years of technical knowledge immersion in a certain field. He mentions mathematics as an example and I found this very interesting. I think this is an important idea to remember as a future teacher, as it emphasizes the point of continuously learning about your field and improving your material and teaching style. Also remembering that it is going to take a lot of practice, time and learning, to be able to continue to improve my teaching practices, is something I will need to focus on as a new teacher, to try and not get overwhelmed and be comfortable taking risks to become better.
Another stop I had was around the definition of success that the speaker explained. Success was defined as doing something that helps others or contributes to others in some way, while also making you feel happy. I have heard this before, however it stood out to me this time as I believe this is what I experienced while working in child care and tutoring, which ultimately led me to pursue teaching. While working in child care particularly, it never really felt like a job to me and if I am ever asked what my ‘greatest success’ is thus far my answer is always my job, which with this definition of success makes sense to me as I always felt as though I was contributing to something greater and having a positive influence on kids lives, while also feeling happy.
Lovely! I really appreciate your thoughts on the experience of success, and doing something that feels so right that it doesn't feel like a job!
ReplyDelete