1)
From my Profile Sheet, my perspective scores range from 25-50. My most strongly held perspective is Nurturing, while my most lowly held perspective is Social Reform. As well, my highest intention score occurred within my most dominant perspective.
I would agree that the perspectives being evaluated are generally my perspectives on teaching, however certain ones I will definitely think more about how to bring them into my practice. Based on my starting points on my personal philosophy, I would like to develop my approaches to teaching to including social reform and working to have students be able to apply their knowledge to real life settings and scenarios.
2)
I was surprised my most dominant result was Nurturing, although it was not the most dominant by much. In terms of my prior work as a Recreation Leader with kids in age ranging from 3-18, I have always had a nurturing side, however I wouldn’t consider that to be my most dominant perspective in terms of my job. That being said, the nurturing aspect of myself as a teacher I do find really important and put a lot of focus into while learning to teach, as I believe this can help create a safe and welcoming classroom environment where students want to learn and learn to believe in themselves.
3)
While taking this quiz, I became more unsure of my teaching practice in terms of the perspective of Social Reform. I am not surprised by my total score for the Social Reform perspective given my answers on the quiz, however taking this quiz raised the question for me of how to include a greater focus on social reform in a math classroom. I can easily think of ways to include the topic and ideas of social reform in other subject areas, potentially those focused more around humanities, but I am unsure as to how I would focus largely on this in a math classroom. I can see its place in certain units such as finance or economics, but I am curious to see how I could incorporate ideas of social reform into other units as well.
Thanks for these thoughtful reflections! It is a lot less obvious to see how social/ environmental reform can fit in with the typical math curriculum (often seen as quite abstract and removed from the world), as opposed to Humanities classes, where society and human nature are at the centre of things. But there are ways to do it, and I like the ideas you mention here. Your nuturing, apprenticeship and developmental scores are very close, so it looks like your approach is a balanced one.
ReplyDelete