My favourite math teacher was one I had throughout my undergraduate degree. I would be lucky to hopefully possess some of the traits and teaching skills that he does. The thing that I liked most about this teacher was his commitment to supporting all students learning, in and out of the classroom, whether he had them in a class or not. He would never hesitate to stop his lectures to re-explain or further explain a topic someone wasn't understanding or dive into a topic someone had curiosities about. Reflecting on my experiences with this teacher, as a new teacher I can learn to encourage students to act upon curiosities, provide opportunities for extended learning and inquiry during class and provide academic support. However, I think the most valuable lesson I will take away from his teaching as a future teacher, is the ability to be adaptable in the classroom and not be afraid to stray from my original lesson plan.
My least favourite math teacher I also had during my undergraduate degree. I think the aspect of his teaching style that I liked the least was the lack of connection he appeared to have to the material, as he taught word for word from the textbook. As well, he had very little interaction with the class or individual students. As a new teacher, what I learned from reflecting on this experience is the importance of building connections with students, while interacting with them and including them in class through activities and discussions. As a teacher I will also focus less on teaching from the textbook and instead teach not only the necessary material but also teach with the goal of having students understand the material. Which I believe can be done with more a more interactive and activity based teaching style where possible.
Dear Ms. Wilson,
This semester in your math class I really liked the interactive aspects of class, including activities, games and group work. During my time in your class I became much more comfortable thinking outside the box and applying concepts in more abstract ways. As well, I always felt supported in my learning. I was happy to learn how to ask WHY in math and learn why mathematical rules and methods work and not just how to apply them. I believe these skills will be helpful in future math classes as well as other subject areas.
From,
A student who loved my class
Dear Ms. Wilson
During your math class this semester I did not enjoy the structure of the class. I didn’t feel there was enough time to work on practice problems and ask questions. I would have enjoyed more group activities and collaborative work periods to learn with and from others. As well, I did not feel your assessment methods were fair or consistent and they did not give me an opportunity to demonstrate my knowledge and understanding of the material fairly.
From,
A student who did not love my class
Excellent lessons to take away from a great mentor as well as from the teacher who leaned far too heavily on the textbook! I like your plans to make your teaching interactive and participatory, giving attention to student understanding and learning.
ReplyDelete