I agreed with the points Group 1 expressed in question number 3 regarding assessment. I also think that how math is assessed could lead to students having a negative attitude about math. I agreed with this point as I find that the way math has been assessed in traditional school settings, often encourages a type of learning based around memorization, rather than a type of learning that engages students in material allowing them to gain a deeper understanding of it. As well, for students who do not test well using traditional testing methods, they may be deterred from math as they feel they cannot demonstrate their knowledge fairly. As group 1 addressed, creating different kinds of assignments or potentially collaborative group work, may be ways to assess students' knowledge without using traditional tests and quizzes. Throughout this year I am excited to learn about alternate forms of assessment, particularly in math!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Unit Plan Final - Math 9 Finance
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jKjrtxYewWAVfiTJKJhHpDOdWBJlQeV/view?usp=sharing Here is the link to my Unit Plan. I have chosen not to a...
-
One stop that I had during this talk was when the speaker explains that you can’t be creating anything and change something to make it bette...
-
I thought of this puzzle like a clock. So first we know 15 and 30 are diametrically opposite from each other, as 15 is the half way point be...
-
One of my favourite math things, especially in the classroom are math games! One game I loved to play during my undergrad in the math room ...
Good! Assessment is very important and often drives the whole system (whether we think it ought to or not). I hope you were able to take the EDCP 441 class with Kevin Li this semester too -- he has very interesting ideas about assessment in math.
ReplyDelete