Monday, November 16, 2020

Thinking about Math Textbooks

I found this article to focus heavily on the influence that linguistics has on a students mathematical learning. As a teacher, I most definitely see the value in language throughout a math textbook, as describing math in words can often be very helpful. However, as a teacher and someone who went to school for math, I am an experienced math reader, thus I find the linguistic aspect of textbooks often more helpful at this point in my math learning. But, as a former student I found textbooks which had a heavy linguistics component very overwhelming, as opposed to textbooks which had more ‘math’ on the page. However, in this article, I agree with the point of having pictures and different text colours throughout the textbook as a way to impact the students experience reading the textbook (11). I think from a students perspective, images can significantly impact the students learning experience while using the textbook as they can likely relate to math related images better as opposed to math language. However, when language is used I do agree that using “you find” language is helpful as it implies that the students can in fact do the math (10). Finally, I found the example of being a scribbler and a thinker interesting (12). This example suggests that students may work on math independently (scribbler) while reflecting on their math with others (thinker). As a student I would not have been comfortable sharing or reflecting with others, however now as a teacher I see the value and importance for working with others as a way to help students learning progress and improve. 


In terms of my thoughts for using textbooks, I can see myself using one if it follows the curriculum nicely, provides clear explanations and good concrete examples of important skills, while also providing examples of real life situations, so students can better connect to the material. However if all the textbook offers are examples and end of chapter practice tests for students to work through I don't think I would use the textbook. I would rather create their practice material myself and create my own lessons which integrate real life connections and examples throughout where possible, as it is imperative in math for students to feel somewhat connected to the material as they often find it difficult to understand the importance and application of it in the real world. In terms of the future use of math textbooks in classrooms, I do think they will continue to become less used. I found that towards the end of high school, fewer teachers were using math textbooks and throughout university I had several classes without textbooks. I think they will become more of a supplement for the teacher as a source of material, but not a source the students rely on or use heavily. From what I have seen recently, I would imagine teachers will start using textbooks less in the classroom and instead creating student material using multiple sources. 


1 comment:

  1. Nice. I agree with you that textbook use is diminishing, with so many and varied resources now available online. I hope that will help teachers create materials that are more relevant and engaging.

    ReplyDelete

Unit Plan Final - Math 9 Finance

 https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jKjrtxYewWAVfiTJKJhHpDOdWBJlQeV/view?usp=sharing Here is the link to my Unit Plan. I have chosen not to a...